This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Sunday 24 December 2006

Battlestar Galactica

Ok, I just watched the end of season 2, and the Chief gives a little speech in it. He says:

There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus -- and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it -- that unless you're free the machine will be prevented from working at all!!

If you're a baby boomer, that might sound familiar. That speech wasn't just given on New Caprica, it was given in front of Sproul Hall at UC Berkeley.

In the same show, but not the same episode, Cola noted some references to Blade Runner where some humans refer to human-looking Cylons as "skin jobs." There must be references and quotations all over the place. Also, I wonder how Mario Savio feels/would feel about his words being used on Sci Fi TV?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, whenver I walk by the "Free speech cafe" I get an odd feeling, is this now a museum piece? And where are those people who were at sproul that day? Mario passed away I do believe. The rest may have slowly joined the machine just cause...you gotta make a living and all that. but hopefully made it a better machine eh Mario?
I dunnoo...

(by the way I think they pour starbucks at Free speech cafe...)

-Carol

nwilkins said...

Another refrence - when Baltar and Roslin were debating she used the phrase "there you go again" which was a Reagan thing from his election debates.

Why I remember this, I'm not totally sure. I don't remember watching those debates. But I remember watching reports in later elections (maybe on MTV in the 90s?) which talked about stupid shit like candidate catchphrases that they'd practice saying so they sound natural and spontaneous during debates. "There you go again" was an example.

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!