This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Sunday 15 December 2002

Christi told me a few days ago that people would be coming over to jam today. "Fine." I said. "You're playing too." she said. I whined. she said, "It'll be fun." Meanwhile, Tiffany was campainging to get me to jam with her friend Ed. "I'm not really a jamming person." I explained. He same over thursday anyway. I made synth noises and he ran them through a groovy little fx box. It was awesome. But I still whined at Christi. She said, "I need to find out how well Ed plays cello."

So today Chand, Mitch and Ed came over. Chand played drums. Mitch got his guitar. Ed got out his cello, but it took a long time to figure out mic placement and Ed seemed timid improvising, so he started singing. He's excellent. Chand's a good drummer. Mitch has always been a good guitarist. Then Ed played bass and I sat out. (He was good, but all I play is bass, so I'm not in favor of this setup.) The he picked up the guitar that Chand brought. He's a good guitarist too. Mitch is also a good guitarist. So I guess I'm in a band now. Christi's trying to schedule the next practice. I think we should be called The IHOP Conspiracy, but I haven't run it by Ed or Chand. Mitch thinks it's funny.

So I guess Christi decided to be a band manager, or that I should be in a band. When my old band broke up, I kind of felt releived about it, but Christi kept saying, "You guys were really good." But we were going nowhere. I'd like to be more serious. Mitch says no more being half-assed. Christi wants to schedule us recording time at Expression New Media (they do free recording for bands). We don't even have any songs yet. She says, "Who cares, you sounded great jamming. Just go in and play for half an hour."

This being pushed into music by other people thing seems to be ok. I finished my last piece of music in June. I've got a score for a call for scores put out by Jack Straw Productions in Seattle (no relation to the British leader), but it's not done. Almost all the music grad school applications are due January 15th, except for Berkeley and Stanford, which are due monday and are not going to happen for me. But I don't really want to go away. I want to build big cabinets downstairs and have a super-usable work area. But then what will I do with myself if I don't go to school? I think I probably need a masters degree to be a serious composer. (What will I do with myself when I'm a serious composer?) Maybe I could just go to Cal Arts and keep Tiffany living at my current house and come home frequently. Maybe I could somehow complete the Berkeley application by Monday. I don't really want to go to Berkeley. Actually, I don't really want to do antything. Maybe somone will push me into something.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!