This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Wednesday 15 October 2003

new last paragraph

It was also interesting to read about how the modes in Svadebka were related to Medieval modes, something that Taruskin assumes his audience to be familiar with. I look forward to re-reading that section as my research project progresses. Actually, I'll probably never re-read any part of this paper because it is incredibly long and boring. There is nothing to say about it because Taruskin has already said everything anyone might possibly want to say about Svadebka and said it with examples over many, many pages. I cannot possibly imagine being this interested in Stravinsky. And all of this is for one single work. It boggles the mind to think about the amount of research that went into this book. Didn't Taruskin have anything better to do? I can't imagine dedicating that much of my life to somebody else's work. On his deathbed, he'll be able to think that he knew more about Stravinsky than anyone else, but he's created nothing new. He has only analyzed. He has not worked to make the world a better place, only pointed out how someone else has. This book is emblematic of all the problems of academia and academic writing.

not in my paper

My paper will not say, "On the othe rhand, this paper, by contrast, is not very long and has not been overly researched at all. It may still be boring and not creative, unfortunately. fortunately, I spend a bit of time when i'm not doign homework by writing music." My paper will not say, "I am not an ethnomusicologist. I am not here to write papers." My paper will not say, "I am counting the minutes until I get to the airport."

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!