This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Thursday 26 February 2004

Song structure

So I'm still working on the song that needs salt (ok, I know it's not a song unless it has words....). Aaron told me that the lastest incarnation resmebles Kraftwerk, so I popped Die Mensch-Machine into my CD player so I could try to get some inspriation on how to fix my doomed work (aside from de-glitching it....).

I'm listening to it right now, from an analysis point of view. when I listened to Kraftwerk before, as just tunes I liked, I tended to focus on their awesome sound design. This album came out in 1978 and is a fine example of analog synthesis. Their sounds are very nifty, nicely filtered and in tune. They get many nice fx from good filter usage and do a lot of unashamed analog sweeps, which are idiomatic of the instrument and aren't afraid to throw in a nice splat here or there.

Structurally, however, sound design aside, their songs are just lame pop songs with simplistic rhythms and chord progressions. Everything going on is in the sound design and the arpegiation. if you played the songs on the piano, they would just be goofy. they're not Frank Zappa, they're just a silly pop band and I never noticed till now.

Let this be a lesson to you: do not change the way you listen to music that you like.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!