This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Thursday 17 June 2004

Life is filled with suffering and woe

and not everything is going to go my way. Many things will not go my way. But I still think I'm really lucky as far as things go. I mean, things could be much worse. Reagan could have actually started a nuclear war and I could be living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. That would be lots worse. Immeasurably worse.

Still, things have not been going as well as they could be. And I don't want to complain too much. The order of the universe is controlled by entropy, you know. It causes life, but it also causes death. It brings people together, but it tears them back apart. It's just the way things are. There's no point in complaining about it. So a bunch of things aren't going my way. C'est la vie. A bunch of other things are going my way or have gone my way in the past. You know, it's groovy that all the people who are leaving my life were ever in it. So really, I feel woe cuz I've been lucky.

Just the same, I feel like I've been smacked around kind of a lot in recent months. I don't want to have any kind of sense of entitlement, but I would like to encourage some amelioration of some kind. And since you're reading . . .

I really want to be able to compile supercollider routines as jMAX externals. Either that, or be able to drop jMax windows into supercollider. Because MAX (and jMAX) are really good at MIDI. And they're great at quick and dirty, especially quick and dirty GUIs. Whereas, SuperCollider is really good at synthesis, scalability and data-handling. If you want somrthing to have lists or to have states and to synthesize sounds, SuperCollider is for you. If you want something that reads MIDI, that has an easy, decent GUI and can draw your waveform right on the screen and read your MIDI sliders as you wiggle the loop points until they look and sound right, why, jMax is your thing. If you want both, well, you either need to figure out SuperCollider's somewhat obscure, but Java-like GUI libraries and weird MIDI classes or you need to deal with byzantine graphical connections and oddball order-of-operations schemes in MAX. There are some Java-based music programming libraries which are nice and are probably the best of both worlds, but they cost money and I'm cheap. Futhermore, I already know MAX and SuperCollider and don't want to learn another audio language. I just want Max and SuperCollider to be seamlessly integrated in some way. And for people to stop dying. Is that so much to ask?

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!