This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Monday 27 March 2006

Mon Week-end

"Le week-end" is a French term. True. Anyway, on Friday night, I went bar-hopping with Solène around the 4th. It was pretty fun. On Saturday, I went to a party thrown by one of the guys in my program. Music school parties are the same everywhere in the world. Too much wine, too much smoke, too much arguing about which composers suck and which are great. And, of course, talking about sex, maybe too much fo that too. In all it was really too much as I got home at 5:00 am, after having too much of a great time.

On Sunday afternoon, I woke up with a headache and decided to walk down to Place de la Sorbonne. Informed readers will know that the police have put up large barricades around the square and are not letting students assemble there. However, I recently learned that the café there is still open. So I walked towards there from Châtelet, smilingly stupidly in the warm weather. It was around 18 degres C. So lovely. People speak of Paris in the springtime. So far the trees are still bare and the weather gray, but the Parisians are blooming. People are wearing colors other than black. French folks are smiling. They are making out with each other in public in the middle of the day. A couple of days ago, I saw a middle aged couple kissing in the street. On Sunday, I was pointing at a brass band by the very touristy St Michel and saying something about it in English to cola and an old Parisian man explained to me in French the history of the fountain and where the nearby museums are. He smiled and was helpful to the tourist! There is something magic about spring. When I got to the Place de la Sorbonne and started explaining to the gendarmes that I wanted to go to the café, they smiled at me!

so I went to the café there and had chai. It was a surreal scene full of napping cops and really, I've never seen that square so deserted. I keep going to weird places with Cola during protests. An empty Time Square in NYC. Anyway, if you stay up until 5:00 AM defending the honor of Charles Ives and drinking wine, it's a bad idea to have a hot sweet milky beverage in the warm afternoon the at follows. Ugh. But when I got home around 6:00, the sun was still shining. Thank god for spring.

Tags: ,

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!