This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Thursday 14 June 2007

De-stiched

I got the stiches out of my chin yesterday, which have helped make it feel less irritated. While getting them snipped out, I inquired about my lingering jaw pain (hurts a lot to chew) and swollenness. The doctor who stiched me said it should all go away within a "couple of days" but she must have meant "weeks" and the nurse practitioner advised me to be patient. At least my lip is de-swollen enough that I can generally be understood while speaking. Well, almost as much as usual.

The nurse also said I was incredibly lucky, after I described what happened to her. I could have been much more badly hurt. It's funny how people say "lucky." Like, I'm lucky not to have hurt my brain, but I think real luck would have involved somehow landing on my feet or not crashing at all. And I'm lucky my dog's not dead, but... no, that was just luck. Jeesus gods.

I went to the pet store yesterday to buy dog-washing soap and saw all the pet toys and went a little crazy. I mean, she could have been killed, so maybe I should get her a bunch of chew toys and treats and stuff, right? I started explaining this to the cashieer of the store and told my story and I got to the part where the cop said it was my fault and his expression began to change. It was clear he thought I was making the whole thing up. Have you ever had a day so shitty that when you tried to tell people about it, they thought you were lying?

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't repeat it to strangers (the tourist office woman in Brussels seems a bit non-plussed, as did the woman who sold me the box of liguor-filled bonbons), but man, some things you just have to get out. And if nobody you know is around, well, this is why it sucks to work retail.

I don't really have anything else to say. I've been trying to come up with clever gear reviews ("camelback - ache"), but I'm not so motivated. I guess I'm going on with the bike tripping thing though, since I just purchased all the maps I'll need to get to Copenhagen from the same store in which I got my maps to Brussels. The guy asked how it went. At least he believed me. He swore Denmark would be better.

There's a reason that Douglas Adams transcribed that the word "belgium" has the most filthy curse word in the gallery. That's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!