This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Friday 28 December 2007

Les Hutchins & Polly Moller @ the Luggage Store

Hey Bay Area people, I've got a show coming up on 3 January in San Francisco. Start out the new year with live music!

I'll be playing laptop, didjeridu and some synthesizer. Specifically, I'll be using my live sampling application, as heard in Paris, Berlin, the Hague and now San Francisco! It will be a duo with monster-flutist Polly Moller. (Note that she is not literally a monster but her flute playing is what you would get if King Kong or Godzilla played flute - and were really good at it.)

If Polly's name sounds familiar with you, it's because she was the lead of the flute-fronted rock band that I played in some years ago. Her flute playing then, as now, was full of agro tones and weird-awesome sounds that you don't expect from a flute. She's also really fun to improv with and her sounds work really well with electronic processing. I can do stuff with her that I haven't been able to do with other flutists.

(Also, just to add, I'm awesome too.)

The show is at 1007 Market St in SF at the Luggage Store Gallery. It's easily accessible via BART or muni (take the N line from the Caltrain station). Admission is $6 - $10 sliding scale. But if all you've got is $3 or $0 or something, they'll still let you in.

The show starts at 8 with Jen Baker (Trombone) and Damon Smith (Double Bass). Those two formed half of the Just in Time Quartet, of which I was a member. Damon was also my bass teacher. He's really cool and knows how to throat sing. Jen is also cool, but I don't know her work as well.

Then at 9, Polly and I are on for 45 minutes or so.

I know some people have been curious about my Evenfall Minimodular synth. Polly describes it as "vintage" but it's less than 10 years old. They are, however, rare. A guy in the south bay made them. At the time they were new, they were absolutely your best bet for starting into analog synths. It's small, portable, yet a fully featured modular. Like an Arp, it has a bunch of normalized connections (it doesn't need to be patched, but can be). And it's got a MIDI in. The Evenfall guy thought it would be a raver's dream. I don't know if the trance/house folks ever got into this, but, it really should have been their dream. It's flexible enough to be anybody's dream, since it's modular. I'll be patching it and otherwise being arty. So here's a chance to see / hear it in action.

The poster image is kind of random. I was hoping to find a picture of Polly and I together, but then gave up and used this snapshot I took of a peace sign at the Cesar Chavez park

2 comments:

Polly Springhorn said...

The only pix I've got of us together are from years and years ago when I looked WAY different...:)

Anonymous said...

d00d! you play the didj? mint!

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!