This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Sunday 19 January 2014

Bullying as Journalism

EDIT: ESPN actually is the publisher of the article, since they own Grantland.

Submitted to https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

Dear sir or Madam,

I am writing because I saw an advertisement for you on an article that I think you may not wish to be associated with. You may be aware of article on Grantland in which the journalist, Caleb Hannan, harasses his subject to the point of suicide. He is clearly aware of the harm he knows he causing her and uses it as part of his narrative arc. I'm sure that you do not wish to have your name associated with this kind of horrific bullying. Yet there is a link to you at the top of the page, implying endorsement. I would like to strongly encourage you to end your relationship with Grantland. I would also like to enquire if you have any policies which would apply if one of your own journalists submitted a similar story.

Thank you for your time,

Charles Hutchins

I'm not linking to the article. A 'journalist' decided to investigate the inventor of a new kind of putter. He speaks to her former employer who had used the threat of outing to get her to drop a discrimination lawsuit and then decided to out her anyway. He then called up everyone she knew to tell them personally that she was trans and ask them for comment. Having completely socially isolated her, he then calls her on the phone and tells her he's going to out her in the press. She wrote him an email saying he was engaging in hate crime, which he included in the story. She took her own life, and he made sure to mention that the person who told him about this hated her and quote that person's misgendering. He straight up caused somebody to die and then reported his role in it without a hint of remorse.

I've read some hateful shit. I've read bullying. I've read things that are intended to make the victim feel bad. But this, this kind of bloodless dispassionate, emotionally blank destruction of another human being is something I've never seen before. This is worse than anything I've ever encountered before. He kills someone and really is not at all bothered by it.

There's a link to ESPN at the top of the socippath's article and so I wrote to them. Their other adverts are automatically served by outbrain and are the same meaningless shit you see at the bottom of every article on earth. I clicked through on something that's gone viral and the website is making money off of this. Because they have no qualms about bullying someone to death. Because it's just a trans woman, so who cares.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!