This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Tuesday 4 February 2003

Lou Harrison died last night. He was a wonderful world music and percussion composer. He had a tremendous impact on classical music. He was also, a warm, talkative and friendly person. This is very sad. I'm glad I got to meet him as the OM 8 driver last year. He talked about local architecture and the SF World's Fair, for which the Palace of Fine Arts was built and how he first heard Eastern music there and it made him want to compose. He also spoke some Esperanto with me. He claimed to hardly remember it and then rapid-fired off several sentences. My old housemate was his sign language teacher. It used to be very exciting when he would call. World-famous composer calling for my housemate! Anyway, it's very sad and a big loss for music. He never stopped composing.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!