This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Monday 10 March 2003

Tired

I was telling Nancy on Saturday that I was super tired from partying the last two nights and I would probably be partying that night too and so stay exhausted and she asked if I was whining or bragging. Good question. But I'm too tired now to update my blog except to say that I unscrewed the back of my tuba valves today at band practice (being very tired is as good as being drunk and anyway, if I combined the two, I might drop the tuba on the cement and harm it.) and the middle finger, ring finger and pinky valves all had green corosion in them. I put sewing machine oil on all of them. Tony Clements, my high school tuba teacher, told me to use sewing machine oil someplace on the surface of the valves, but I can't remeber where, so I've just been putting sewing machine oil around the outside for the last two times I've played it. I think the valves are faster, but I'm not sure how to oil them and I've heard that using the wrong oil can actually hurt the valves. So I've decided to take my tuba to Best Music to get it serviced. It's like a tuba lube job. I'm hoping that they will take it apart and clean it for me and I can ask questions about all the care and maintance things that I've forgotten. for example, I know you can't get cork soaked, but I can't remember what the inside of rotary valves have in them, so I don't know if I could even submerge my tuba in a large bathub or not. You know that you've always wanted to sit in jacuzzi with a tuba. When I was a youngun, every couple of months or so, I would completely disassemble my trumpet and put all the pieces (except that piston valves, which have cork in them) and soak it in the bathtub. Then I would run a cleaning snake through all the pipes and clean the non-lacquered tuning thingees with brasso. I'd rinse the valves under the faucet and then I'd dry and oil the whole thing and re-assemble it. I've never done this with a tuba. First of all, I don't have a snake that big. I could have used my parents' giant bathtub. My high school tuba only got cleaned once a year, by a music shop. I've never cleane dmy current horm, as far as I can recall. And then I stored it a long time without planning to or preparing it, and now the valves are somewhat greenish. I only hope that it's not damaged.

Right now, it seems like a good idea for me to become a professional tuba player and to get a harness for my lap horn so that I can stand up and play it at the same time. I'm also having thoughts of scheduling a lesson with Tony, so he can remind me of everything I've forgotten. I know that there's work for tuba players out there. Yes there is. Maybe I'm just very sleep deprived. Apparently, when I woke up this morning, I angrily ordered Christi to sell the drumset on ebay. I have no memory of this, so my theory is that she dreamed it.

I'm trying to stay up till 10:00. I tried to explain why to Tiffany, but it didn't make any sense. I'm sure I must have a good reason. Maybe to build endurance for when I'm touring with my tuba or something?

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!