This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Tuesday 4 October 2005

Rebel, rebel, I love your dress

From an article in the Chicago Sun Times called "Boy, girl or transmale?"

''I think the fluidity of gender is the next big wave in terms of adolescent development," says Caitlin Ryan, a clinical social worker at San Francisco State University who is conducting a long-term sexual orientation and gender survey of youth and their families. "Gender has become part of the defining way that youth organize themselves and rebel against adults."

To some youth, playing with gender identity and roles is as much about fun and self-expression as anything. "There's a kind of tongue-in-cheek aspect to it," Ryan says, "as well as a celebration of oneself."

Yo, I'm down with the kids. Or, I'm immature.

That's it, I'm totally getting a motorcycle when I get home.

I don't know whether to be annoyed or maybe gender fluidity really IS the next big thing for teens. Hopefully.

Tags: ,

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!