This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Saturday 7 April 2007

New Phone Number

Today I learned that if you lose a prepaid phone, you also lose your phone number. My new number is +31 (0)6 42 83 1440

Also, losing a phone means losing all your phone numbers. Please email me back with your number or send me an SMS, if you think you will want to chat with me.

My old phone is someplace in Birmingham. Alas. I hope somebody gets some use out of it.

In other news, Polly (who is awesome) took a sign up sheet with her to the 21 Grand thing last night and got 4 more names! Hooray. Only 22 to go.

I posted to friendster and Craig's List and haven't gotten anything from that. I feel like I've lost a lot of cachet by leaving eBay. I need to start looking at banner ads or adwords with google.

I think next week, I will start going to school again. I've been sorta, um, not going except to lab hours. I dunno about bea 5 (the giant room of analog synth of doom). It would take me years to master it. I'm totally into the bank of sixteen oscillators (16!! 16!!! It's obscene!) and the sequencer and the VOSIM and the third octave filter and something called the VTQ and anything that does the same thing as a module I own in my own synth. But the other things - there are just so many of them and it's going to take a lot of experimentation to use them in a non-cliched way. Like the plate reverb is super awesome, but it only gets like one sound and that sound is full of a lot of hiss. If I want to do something really interesting with the plate, I'm going to need to de-ess it and then either do some sort of feedbacky tape delay or pitch shifting because the sound of that plate does not change ever - it's always the same pitch. So I think I'm going to concentrate on the things I already understand and see what kind of sounds I can tease out of them. Because playing with the new thing or the splashy thing or the 200 kilo thing is a lot of fun, but the resulting recordings are really hard to work with. It's possible to pull out a good minute from the exploratory noodling, but it's easier and better to do something immediately interesting and record that.

Also, I want to think more about post-processing. I've got 178461978461 Audacity plugins and I thin I'd like to subtly apply the same fx to all my recordings, so they sound like they go together. All my MOTM recordings mostly sound right together and the bea 5 ones have their own sound, but some signature should unify them. Like if I just got the perfect impulse response to convolve everything with. The IR of the gods.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!