This blog has moved

This blog is now at http://www.celesteh.com/blog

Thursday 12 June 2008

Seeking London Lodging

I'm currently combing the internets looking at flatmate listings for London. I hope to find LGBT-friendly folks someplace fairly central that will take my dog and I for £110/week or less. This is more than double what I'm paying now and I'll have to also ride trains a lot more. And yet, it's still definitely on the low end of what's out there. I have faith, though. Somebody will be taken with my dog or that I have a recipe for cactus chili (somebody was recently kind of amazed when I talked about eating prickly pear leaves, so you never know).

My queer-focussed ad says:

I'm a 32 year old ftm looking for London housing starting by July 1. I've been transitioning for about 6 months. Before that I was a dyke. I'm a post-grad student, with a dog. She's an 8 year old lab mix. Friendly but reserved. She is old and spends all her indoor time sleeping and would not require any attention from you. She gets on very well with other dogs and has lived well with cats before (she's overly curious at first, but soon returns to her sleepy state).

I'm looking for a home with some communal space and queer or queer-friendly housemates. I'm from California originally and like to think of myself as relaxed and easy to get on with. I've spent the last 3 years abroad and plan to live in England for the next 2 or 3 years while getting my PhD. I like to play music, but I'm not loud. I don't mind if you are.

Feel free to contact me at celesteh@gmail.com or to pass along my information to your friends who need a housemate.

I really don't want to have to be stealth in my home. Some of my mail gets addressed to Miss or Ms. I recently told my cable company representative that my bank had mistakenly listed me as "miss" because they thought I had a girl's name. This story is apparently believable - different cultures/countries do gender names differently, but it wouldn't explain why my former landlords were all using the wrong pronouns. So I don't know how much choice I have about being out - not that I want to live in fear of being found out.

Part of what was nice about being in Holland is that I was kind of just a regular person again for a while. It would be nice to be like that more of the time.

No comments:

Commission Music

Commission Music
Bespoke Noise!!